Friday, October 25, 2013

Dosa Milagai Podi

Dosa Milagai podi is a dry powder of dhals and red chilli and serves as a side dish for Idli/Dosa.It is mixed with gingelly oil and served.

Dosa/idli Milagai Podi


Ingredients:

channa dhal(Kadala Paruppu)
½ cup
Urad dhal whole(Ulutham Paruppu)
½ cup
Red chilli(see note below)
1 cup
White sesame seeds
1 tblsp
Asafoetida
1 tsp
Jaggery
1 small piece
Salt
1 tsp

Method:

roasted dhals and red chilli

Redchilli powdered

Dhals powdered with red chilli

Dosa Milagai podi


  • Heat a Kadai and fry both the dhals,sesame seeds till golden in colour.Transfer to a plate to cool.
  • Fry the asafoetida powder slightly in the same kadai and add to the dhal.
  • Now add 1 tsp oil,add red chilli and fry them.Allow to cool. 
  • First grind the red chilli in a mixie to a fine powder.Now add the fried dhal,jaggery and grind till you get a slightly coarse powder. 
  • Finally add salt and pulse for a minute.Store in an airtight container.
Note:
  • I usually measure red chilli(comes to around 20 chillies approximately),take around 8 chillies and replace them with kashmiri chilli to get a nice colour.
  • Adding little jaggery won't give any sweet taste to the powder,skip if you don't prefer.
  • I have given the approximate quantity of salt,increase/decrease a little depending on the hotness of the chilli used.


7 comments:

  1. Flavorful and handy podi...fav side dish with idly and dosa...I can't able to eat idly without this....

    ReplyDelete
  2. my kids love idli podi,but i don't add jaggery to it.well made

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't live without them. I even add them in my stirfry Gayathri very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its awesome though I have never made it. However have tasted in Indian restaurants and its one of my fav, esp for the spicy taste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adding jiggery is new to me . loved the podi.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog.Please feel free to comment on how you liked my post.Your feedback is valuable to me.