Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Granola bars

Granola bars is one of the healthiest breakfast/snack options and is easy to prepare too.The homemade ones are definitely a lot better than the store-bought ones which are loaded with sugar.The added advantage is you can easily change the recipe to suit your taste.You can add the nuts/dry fruits of your choice. 

* Recipe Updated:
            I had used honey as one of the ingredients and now removed it and increased the sugar quantity as according to Ayurveda honey becomes toxic when heated.
      

granola bars.

Ingredients:

Oats(I used quick cooking)
2 cups
All purpose flour
1 tblsp
Brown sugar
¾ cup
Nuts and dry fruits chopped
½ cup
Butter melted
1/3 cup
Vanilla essence
1 tsp
Salt
A pinch
Baking soda
A pinch


Method:



Dry fruits and nuts

Granola bars before baking

Granola bars baked ready to cut into bars

homemade granola bars
  • Preheat the oven to 190 °C.
  • Take the oats,flour,brown sugar,salt,baking soda in a bowl .Add the chopped dry fruits and nuts,vanilla essence and mix well.
  • Now add the melted butter and mix well.
  • Take a baking pan and spread this mixture evenly and press with your hands.(I lined my baking tray with aluminium foil before spreading the mixture).
  • Bake in a preheated oven at 190°c for 8-12 mins till the top turns golden brown and is slightly firm to touch.
  • Allow it to cool and slice them into bars.
Note:
  • If you feel the mixture is dry after adding the butter, add extra 1-2 tablespoons of melted butter.
  • I have used almonds,walnuts,dried apricots and dates in this recipe.
  • Replace vanilla essence with 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder if you prefer.
  • I got 14 bars for the above quantity.
  • The bars will be little soft after taking out from the oven.Allow it to cool and then cut into pieces or it might crumble.
Sending this to  Srivalli's Kids Delight event  hosted by Vardhini  and 
Vardhini's  bake fest #9 event hosted by Pradnya


2 comments:

  1. I made these granola bars today... awwwwsomeee... so tasty ..me and my hubby emptied it in a day ... thanks for the recipe .....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog.Please feel free to comment on how you liked my post.Your feedback is valuable to me.